From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What USE flags would make for the ideal home KDE box?
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 23:38:20
1 On Tuesday 06 December 2005 16:41, Jeff <jmg_071769@×××××××.net> wrote
2 about '[gentoo-user] What USE flags would make for the ideal home KDE
3 box?':
4 > I would like to see what USE flags you use to make the 'ideal' KDE
5 > Gentoo box. I'm just trying to narrow down my choices, and yet, still
6 > remain somewhat flexible, and/or secure.
7
8 I run KDE at home with these use flags:
9
10 USE="kde X java emacs gnutls samba motif truetype unicode xprint acl \
11 mysql postgres xml xml2 kerberos ldap hal howl esd nptl tcltk \
12 bzip2 odbc mozilla tetex threads libg++ oss arts kdeenablefinal \
13 tidy xinerama xmms directfb licaca fbcon flac vorbis ogg dga \
14 xine audiofile gphoto2 cscope bash-completion a52 aac dvd v4l \
15 vcd libcaca mng theora ieee1394 sndfile mikmod snmp dbus cdr \
16 dvdr acpi apm pda oggvorbis imagemagick guile wmf lesstif \
17 cdparanoia dv dvb dvdread lzo xanim rtc tga xvid bidi bl edl \
18 v4l2 nsplugin ffmpeg mjpeg css musepack fame sblive dts fuse \
19 real mplayer win32codecs syslog javascript sasl async svg smp \
20 gimpprint ppds lcms cups -gnome -Xaw3d musicbrainz gd tiff \
21 sqlite scanner logitech-mouse rdesktop lm_sensors slp \
22 ntlm_unsupported_patch browserplugin wifi elf"
23
24 If you don't have a printer you can drop out:
25 gimpprint ppds lcms and cups xprint
26
27 If you don't user 802.11 you can drop:
28 wifi
29
30 No scanner? drop
31 scanner
32
33 No digital camera? drop
34 gphoto2
35
36 Don't have to deal with windows? drop
37 samba
38
39 No central login (probably) drop
40 kerberos ldap and sasl ntlm_unsupported_patch
41
42 Also, some of these are local use flags, and should really be in
43 my /etc/portage/package.use
44
45 There's probably a few extra banging around in there too. (bl, howl, odbc,
46 driectfb, libcaca, oss, tidy, apm, elf, and possibly mozillam etc.)
49 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
50 bss03@××××××××××.com
51 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy
52 --