From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Another Install Issue
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 12:50:09
1 On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 14:39:40 +0200, Florian Philipp wrote:
2
3 > > Is it up to an init script to do that either? I'd say no. either way
4 > > seems wrong, but having the network config check that the interface is
5 > > available before trying to bring it up seems somewhat less wrong.
6
7 > Yes, I intended it to return 0 unconditionally. My reasoning was that
8 > a) trying anyway doesn't hurt.
9
10 Fair enough.
11
12 > One thing that I worry more about is that there might be a race
13 > condition. Maybe after loading the module, some time is necessary for
14 > the interface to appear. I ran into an issue like that while playing
15 > around with the zram module. In such a case, the separate init script
16 > has a higher chance to succeed than a bash function called some
17 > milliseconds before the interface initialization.
18
19 You could add a "sleep 1" to preup().
23 Neil Bothwick
24
25 By the time you can make ends meet, they move the ends.