From: sebasmagri@gmail.com (=?utf-8?Q?Sebasti=C3=A1n_Ram=C3=ADrez_Magr?= =?utf-8?Q?=C3=AD?=)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Is a git based tree going to save me bandwidth and time?
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2010 19:57:55
1 Sergei Trofimovich <slyfox@g.o> writes:
2
3 > Hi Sebastián,
4 >
5 >> I've been thinking about switching from a rsync based tree to a git
6 >> based one cloning [0]. The main reasons because I would do that is in
7 >> order to save bandwidth (I've a slow GSM connection in my netbook and
8 >> I sync two other gentoo boxes from the first one) and maybe time.
9 >
10 > When I had awfully slow internet I used to use app-portage/emerge-delta-webrsync.
11 > emerge-delta-webrsync recreates portage tarball from previous state and patches.
12 > It usually takes about 300KB (one patch size) per day.
13
14 I've been using delta-webrsync to update the _main node_ too. I think
15 git can't really beat delta-webrsync... Will try to do some bandwith
16 benchmarks and post the results asap...