From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: BIOS says 2GB, MemTest86 says 2GB, top says 900MB
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 03:09:11
1 On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 6:09 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > One of my machines smoked last week so when tearing it apart for spare
3 > parts I noticed the the PC2700 CL 2.5 memory is what my wife's machine
4 > uses and she had only 512MB so I took the opportunity to throw in a
5 > couple of DIMMs. When I boot Linux (and I'm writing this from Linux
6 > running the new memory so the machine works) top reports only about
7 > 900MB while BIOS itself says 2GB. I fired up memtest86 and it reports
8 > 2GB. It's been running memory tests for a couple of hours now with no
9 > problems so it seems like it should work.
10 >
11 > Is there anything in the kernel config that would stop a 2.6.32-gentoo
12 > kernel from seeing all the memory?
13 >
14 > I have double checked that the memory does seem to be seated well in
15 > the DIMM sockets.
16 >
17 > The box is an old eMachines thing that has no support and so far I
18 > can't find any BIOS updates.
19 >
20 > How does memory get reported up to the kernel? Is that something in
21 > the kernel (i.e. - choosing the proper chipset support or something)
22 > or is it purely the return from some sort of BIOS call? If so can it
23 > be tested or circumvented to get the machine to recognize everything
24 > I've put in?
25 >
26 > Thanks,
27 > Mark
28
29 A very simple test - booting from an old Gentoo install CD - shows 2GB
30 - so apparently it's a kernel config issue.
31
32 Sorry for the noise.
33
34 Cheers,