From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Picking out a printer. Questions.
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2019 02:12:21
1 Howdy,
2
3 I'm looking at printers.  I been wanting a toner based printer for a
4 LONG time now.  I'm so tired of those poorly made ink jet things that
5 don't last long at all.  I've found one so far.  According to the
6 printer support website, Linux supports it.  [1]  The site says this:
7 "Color printer, works Perfectly".  Sounds good.  This is the model.
8 Brother HL-L3270CDW  Now I googled some, which can be dangerous at
9 times, and not sure this is a printer I want.  It seems to be light duty
10 and I suspect when I first get this thing, I'm going to be printing a
11 LOT of stuff.  According to a spec sheet on the cartridge, it does about
12 3,000 pages for black and 2,300 for color.  Should I try to find a
13 printer that does more than this or is that about the norm?
14
15 I did some searching on duty cycles and such.  This one shows this:
16 Duty Cycle: Up to 30,000  Would that be OK for a printer for home use,
17 likely heavy use the first couple months?  What sort of life should I
18 expect from this type of printer?
19
20 Any insight on this would be nice.  As some know, I'm on fixed income so
21 I'd like to get a printer that can handle my needs and not be breaking
22 to much.  I wouldn't mind having cartridges that can either be refilled
23 or are affordable too.  Sometimes just a few dollars more can get you a
24 lot more printing.  BTW, I don't need one that scans or anything.  I
25 have a scanner already.  If there is one that is a really dependable one
26 that has a scanner, I wouldn't pass it up just for that but it isn't
27 needed.  Mostly, I just want a printer that is economical and dependable.
28
29 Thanks much.
30
31 Dale