From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Trying SRC_URI first during fetching
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 14:03:33
1 On Tuesday 09 June 2009 15:48:26 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > On Dienstag 09 Juni 2009, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3
4 > > Definitely.
5 > >
6 > > I have to beat users over the head (metaphorically) with a stick to get
7 > > them to use my mirror. They somehow have the idea that SRC_URI has better
8 > > quality bits than my ftp server...
9 > >
10 > > By going to SRC_URI every time, they use up precious international
11 > > bandwidth instead of local (of which there is heaps). Every six months,
12 > > when Fedora or Ubuntu does a release, those users can saturate the entire
13 > > pipe into this *country* - just to get isos that I already have publicly
14 > > available and am begging them to use.
15 >
16 > my university has a nice volume cap for all students. But everything
17 > downloaded from its own network - including the ftp servers is 'free' -
18 > only outside traffic counts.
19 >
20 > Luckily, my university hosts a major gentoo mirror. Not rsync, but
21 > distfiles. They also have ubuntu, suse, fedora stuff. Windows updates.. and
22 > still people don't use it. Annoying.
23
24 I'm six hours behind every mirror I sync - all major distros, every free BSD I
25 can find and every major project out there; the only thing that lags is Ubuntu
26 and Fedora at release time. And give it away at local prices over ftp, http,
27 rsync
28
29 Why? The company has 2000 employees. The international bandwidth bill is
30 larger than the salary bill - including bonuses, expense claims, subsidies...
31
32 So management is very very happy that I have a way to reduce that, and rather
33 unhappy that users don't use it more
36 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com