From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing BTRFS on MBR with OpenRC
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2015 21:08:19
1 Am 2015-08-06 um 13:18 schrieb Rich Freeman:
2
3 > It isn't necessarily essential, but btrfs fi df /mnt/gentoo will show
4 > you that before the balance there are still some chunks in single mode
5 > - it seems like mkfs creates the first device and adds the second one,
6 > leaving some residual non-RAID chunks (that hopefully will never have
7 > data written to them). The balance of an empty filesystem is really
8 > fast and completely converts it to raid1, so I figured it would be
9 > cleaner to do it this way. I have no idea what happens if those
10 > single chunks remain and you degrade the array.
11
12 This reminded me of doing a balance-run on the 2-hdd btrfs-RAID1 in my
13 desktop machine. Runs now.
14
15 The machine runs and boots on btrfs only (as well as my 2 thinkpads), I
16 know that btrfs still isn't as well tested as extX or XFS, for example
17 ... but I am quite happy so far (doing backups is essential for
18 everyone, right?)
19
20 -
21
22 Regarding the topic of this thread ... I am off-topic here ;-) sorry
23
24 -> GPT on a single SSD (containing / and the OS, the hdds hold data),
25 and systemd ...
26
27 I run 2 systems (desktop and one laptop) with 2 distros installed in
28 parallel, Fedora and Gentoo, and btrfs helps to share storage nicely
29 here. It even works to share the EFI-boot-partition etc ... the only
30 issue is that having multiple kernels for each distro frequently leads
31 to manually remove one older kernel to be able to add another -> Yes,
32 that partition was sized too small and isn't so easy to grow right now.
33 No big problem.
34
35 As I mentioned in another btrfs-related thread here a few months ago I
36 really appreciate the move from partitions/LVM/RAID/filesystems to this
37 new concept where all these layers are somehow integrated and interacting.
38
39 Sorry for OT-ing here, regards, Stefan