From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: no ebuild what to do?
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 03:56:46
1 On Sat, 2005-10-01 at 13:54 -0700, maxim wexler wrote:
2 >
3 > --- Greg Yasko <gyasko@×××.net> wrote:
4 >
5 > > Greg Yasko <gyasko <at> cox.net> writes:
8 > > > Login as root and do a "mkdir -p
9 > > /usr/local/portage/app-cdr/dekagen"
10 > > >
11 > > > Then cd to the dekagen directory you just created.
12 > > >
13 > >
14 > > Copy the ebuild, which is at gentoo bugzilla under
15 > > app-cdr/dekagen to your
16 > > dekagen directory.
17 > >
18 > > > Run "ebuild dekagen-1.0.2.ebuild digest" in the
19 > > dekagen directory.
20 > > >
21 > > > Add "app-cdr/dekagen ~x86" to
22 > > /etc/portage/package.keywords
23 > > >
24 > > > Finally, do an "emerge dekagen" and it should
25 > > work.
26 >
27 > Yow!
28 >
29 > dayglo ~ # emerge -pv dekagen
30 >
31 > These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
32 >
33 > Calculating dependencies ...done!
34 > [ebuild N ] sys-apps/eject-2.0.13-r1 +nls 58 kB
35 > [ebuild N ] media-sound/bladeenc-0.94.2-r1 139 kB
36 > [ebuild N ] x11-libs/openmotif-2.2.3-r3 5,029 kB
37 > [ebuild N ] media-libs/flac-1.1.1 +sse +xmms
38 > 1,432 kB
39 > [ebuild N ] media-sound/xmcd-3.3.2 +alsa +encode
40 > +vorbis 1,599 kB
41 > [ebuild N ] app-cdr/dekagen-1.0.2 0 kB
42 >
43 > Total size of downloads: 8,259 kB
44 >
45 > Somebody said bloat? Why do I need all this stuff when
46 > it works out of the box simply by running the script?
47
48 because the ebuild has dragged in every optional dependency of dekagen
49 including stuff that isn't actually needed to run it.
50
51 dekagen is a console package, but appears to optionally use xmcd which
52 requires openmotif.
53
54 As for the others, well you will have seen from the dekagen docs (and
55 from running the program) that you can choose rippers and encoders, and
56 that there are therefore a whole lot of optional dependencies. You can
57 run it without all of those options installed, you just don't get to use
58 the ones you don't have (you obviously need a minimum of one ripper and
59 one encoder for it to do its thing).
60
61 for example dekagen can use any of the following to rip cd's: cdda2wav,
62 cdparanoia, dagrab, or tosha. If you have just one of them installed it
63 will work. If you want the option of trying them all as backends, you
64 can install them all (although I am not sure that they are all in
65 portage).
66
67 Same with encoding, you can use any of 8hz-mp3, bladeenc, l3enc, lame,
68 mp3enc, or notlame, or oggenc.
69
70 The docs also say:
71 You might also wish to install:
72 "3. xmcd,
73 4. id3ed, id3tag, id3tool, or mp3info."
74
75 I think the ebuild that has been written is dragging them all in whether
76 you want them or not. The ebuild author admits it is his first ebuild
77 and that he just copied another one. No criticism to him, but feel free
78 to fix it :-)
79
80 It'll probably end up with a whole lot of use flags, so you can control
81 it's dependencies. Seems incredible overkill for a 34k shell script.
85 > > >
86 > > > Good luck.
87 > > >
88 > > > -G.Y.
89 > > >
90 > >
91 > > Whoops! I forgot to tell you to copy the ebuild to
92 > > it's directory. See above.
97 > > --
98 > > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
106 > Yahoo! Mail - PC Magazine Editors' Choice 2005
107 > http://mail.yahoo.com
110 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list