From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: aligning SSD partitions
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 21:12:35
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 11:44:07 -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> I kind of get what they are saying but at the same time using tmpfs
5 >> doesn't matter. Once the tarball is read off the drive, it doesn't
6 >> matter whether portage is run on a tmpfs or not.
7 > Reading the tarball has nothing to do with this, we are discussing
8 > filesystems for PORTAGE_TMPDIR, not DISTDIR. It's where the source is
9 > unpacked, the object files compiled to, the executables linked to and the
10 > install image created that is relevant to TMPDIR.
14 Well, on my system, when I run emerge, it has to go read the tarball
15 from the drive before it can unpack and do all the rest that needs to be
16 done. I was timing from the time I hit return on the emerge command
17 till it was done. Actually, I used time to time it for me. ;-)
18
19 As I said, I ran these tests on what a typical user would be using.
20
21 Dale
22
26 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!