From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Something is pulling in gnome-base
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 23:41:15
1 On Tuesday 10 Dec 2013 15:25:32 Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Sat, Dec 07, 2013 at 11:47:41AM +0000, Mick wrote
3 >
4 > > On Saturday 07 Dec 2013 11:27:50 Tom Wijsman wrote:
5 > > > On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 11:03:00 +0000
6 > > >
7 > > > Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
8 > > > > It used to be the case that setting -gnome globally would be
9 > > > > sufficient, without having to manually mask packages. I had
10 > > > > gstreamer in pidgin to be able to get sound. I'm guessing that I
11 > > > > need gstreamer in pidgin to be able to set up a voice call in gtalk.
12 > > > >
13 > > > > Is it the case that now one has to install gnome-base to be able to
14 > > > > use gstreamer?
15 > > >
16 > > > Seems so, you'll need to check with upstream or with the code for more
17 > > > details; but it is just one small package though.
18 > >
19 > > Sure, today it is just gnome-base, tomorrow I could end up *having*
20 > > to install systemd or whatever RHL and their developers have deemed
21 > > appropriate for your average desktop system. I've masked the two
22 > > you suggested for now.
23 >
24 > The GNOME people have now made dbus a hard-coded dependancy of the
25 > latest gtk+. systemd can't be far behind. I've had dbus masked since
26 > it arrived approximately the same time as HAL. Here's what I get when
27 > trying to update gtk+
28
29 I always thought that dbus is useful on a desktop system that is used to run,
30 errm ... applications, and it doesn't violate the *nix design philosophy. As
31 far as I understand it is only trying to be an IPC manager. I seem to recall
32 that Poettering and co tweaked something in libdbus, but my knowledge is quite
33 limited on all things Gnome.
34
35 Gnome devs decided in late 2012 to *not* make systemd a hard coded dependency,
36 but look where we are now. Without systemd needed/desirable functionality for
37 a Gnome desktop won't work. So, let's say that I tend to be sceptical on what
38 might be used next as the thin end of the wedge.
41 Regards,
42 Mick