From: Adam Carter <Adam.Carter@×××××××××.au>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] really old box for a firewall
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 00:18:13
1 > have here (pentium-mmx) into a firewall/router.
2 > I tried a live cd, with the intent of building up a 32bit chroot in my
3 > big box, and syncing it into the old one. (All 64bit native in the
4 > studio boxes)
5 >
6 > when i inserted the live cd to begin the process, i got an error
7 > message at boot which said (along the lines of ):
8 >
9 > "There is a feature missing in your CPU (0:15). and the live
10 > cd cannot boot."
11
12 Pentium-mmx is i586, so the usual i686 livecds wont work. The install cds are called x86, so I assume that means they're i386 and should be ok, otherwise;
13 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml
14
15 > Do i need to install an older version of Gentoo in order for
16 > this to work?
17
18 Gentoo doesn't really have versions...
19
20 > Do i need to flag the boot in some way with options in order to get
21 > this to install?
22 >
23 > I'm on PPTP cable with a vpn address from the provider. Will an older
24 > version of Gentoo be capable of handling this protocol?
25
26 Since gentoo doesn't have versions, you will be able to run any software that you run on any other Gentoo box.