From: Jean-Marc Beaune <jm.beaune@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Remerge the system with gcc-4.1?
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 13:16:11
1 I would call this discussion "Re-installing the system with gcc-4.1
2 That's what I'm doing now after more than one week of struggle ! ;-)
5 On 9/8/06, Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com> wrote:
6 >
7 > Timothy A. Holmes wrote:
10 > > [Timothy A. Holmes]
11 > >
12 > > I am leaving my office in a moment to put the 2006.1 disk in a server to
13 > > start a fresh build (it's a standby server and I can afford to have it
14 > > off line for a day or 2) specifically to avoid having to do the gcc4
15 > > upgrade. Ive done one so far and it took me 5 days and nearly cost me
16 > > my laptop -- and I followed the gentoo guide specifically. There has
17 > > GOT to be a better way. Sadly I cant take each of my servers offline to
18 > > do upgrade them this way -- some I will have to risk on the GCC upgrade,
19 > > but for now im avoiding it like the plague.
20 > >
21 > > Tim
24 > > Timothy A. Holmes
25 > > IT Manager / Network Admin / Web Master / Computer Teacher
26 > >
27 > > Medina Christian Academy
28 > > A Higher Standard...
29 > >
30 > > Jeremiah 33:3
31 > > Jeremiah 29:11
32 > > Esther 4:14
37 > This coming from a person that has a lot of bad luck. I did the gcc
38 > upgrade and it seemed to work fine here. I found a script on the forums
39 > that seemed to work better than emerge -e world. I had a few packages
40 > that failed due to my settings but they after getting the USE flags set
41 > correctly, they worked fine. I have changed my profile to 2006.1 while
42 > I was at it.
45 > Maybe you have something complicated since you are running servers but
46 > it seemed to work here. I was amazed that mine went so well.
47 >
48 > Dale
49 >
51 > --