From: Nils Holland <nhg@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PAM and utmp
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 07:56:50
1 On 22:37 Fri 17 Feb , Nils Holland wrote:
2
3 > I have the strong feeling that my ~x86 Gentoo box no longer seems to
4 > record "local" logins into /var/run/utmp. When I use screen or login via
5 > ssh, everything works fine, but I can do millions of local, non-X11
6 > plain vanilla terminal logins without ever seeing anything when running
7 > "who" or "w". And I have the feeling that this used to work in the past.
8
9 Replying to myself here, but...:
10
11 Obviously, /bin/login is responsible for handling utmp entries even when
12 PAM is in used, and the upstream maintainer disabled this in the
13 shadow-4.1.5 release (I could verify that it worked in shadow-4.1.4.3).
14 The issue seems to be known already, however, and should be fixed soon,
15 as can be seen at:
16
17 http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=659957
18
19 That's enough for me to know then, I'll just wait for a new release of
20 "shadow", which will make it work again. I still thought I'd post this
21 follow-up here, in case anyone else stumbles over this issue. ;-)
22
23 Greetings,
24 Nils
28 Nils Holland * Ti Systems, Wunstorf-Luthe (Germany)
29 Our Gentoo mirror: http://rush.tisys.org/ (IPv4 + IPv6)
30 Powered by GNU/Linux since 1998