From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] XSESSION="Xsession" doesn't work!
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 12:03:47
1 Hi there,
2
3 I'm fairly experienced with Linux and have been using Gentoo for over
4 3 years, but mostly I only use it on headless servers, so I'm afraid
5 I don't know much about GUI stuff.
6
7 I've just installed Gentoo on my PS3, which I want to use mostly for
8 playing DVDs at the moment (and as a MythTV frontend eventually). My
9 expectations when running X (let's say adding /etc/init.d/xdm to the
10 default runlevel) are that I'm presented with a login prompt, there
11 should be a mouse cursor & stuff and when I log in I should be
12 presented with a terminal window in which I can type my command to
13 run `mplayer` or whatever.
14
15 I'd expect shortly to get mplayer or vlc or something running
16 automatically when the system completes booting-up - this is what
17 MythTV users typically do so that their system behaves more like a TV-
18 appliance than a Linux machine - but I'd like to skip that for the
19 moment whilst I log in as my own user, play with different media
20 players & work out which one suits me best.
21
22 Gentoo for the PS3 is supplied as a LiveCD for chrooting and a stage4
23 tarball - I've only ever used stage1 (3 or more years ago) and stage3
24 (more recently) tarballs in the past. This stage4 is quick to set up
25 and the basics seem to work very well - I can log in at the
26 framebuffer & surf the internet using elinks :D. This stag4 also
27 includes fluxbox, which I haven't used before & am not really
28 interested in but which I haven't uninstalled yet.
29
30 The Gentoo X Server Configuration HOWTO <http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/
31 xorg-config.xml> has much that doesn't seem relevant to me right now,
32 seeing as the stage comes with both Xorg itself and a suitable
33 xorg.conf for the PS3 preinstalled, but if I skip to just after code
34 listing 3.6 it tells me how the value of XSESSION is read from /etc/
35 rc.conf
36
37 Reading /etc/rc.conf I find:
38 # Xsession - will start a terminal and a few other nice apps
39 This seem perfect for me. I don't care that it's described elsewhere
40 as ugly - I think this is twm, Xorg's own default window-manager? -
41 but if it pops open a terminal window when I log in, and maybe xclock
42 then I'm good to go.
43
44 What confuses me is that this doesn't work. It works perfectly if I set:
45 XSESSION="fluxbox"
46 - I get the fluxbox menubar at the bottom of the screen and I can
47 open terminal windows & stuff
48 but not when I set
49 XSESSION="Xsession"
50
51 Diagnostics I can think of:
52 $ grep ^X /etc/rc.conf
53 XSESSION="Xsession"
54 $ ls -l /etc/X11/Sessions/
55 total 8
56 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2187 Jun 10 19:31 Xsession
57 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 22 Jun 10 19:50 fluxbox
58 $ grep DISPLAYMANAGER /etc/conf.d/xdm
59 DISPLAYMANAGER="xdm"
60
61 When I log in remotely & run `sudo /etc/init.d/xdm start` I get a
62 simple login window with an X11-type logo on the right-hand side.
63 Once I use the connected keyboard & mouse - which work perfectly - to
64 enter my user & password I see a window titled "Session Menu"; it
65 appears to have a kind of text box in which is displayed
66 "chooseSessionListWidget" - all I can choose is the "Failsafe /
67 Default" which gives me a grey X11 background with the (correct)
68 chunky black X cursor. No terminals or other windows open and I'm
69 unable to work out how the heck to start an app. When I `sudo /etc/
70 init.d/xdm restart` via SSH I again get the login window and this
71 time the Session Menu says "fail safe" in the "text box" - I now have
72 extra load session & delete session buttons but they don't do
73 anything useful.
74
75 I have followed the pointers in the "startx no longer gives gnome"
76 thread <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/185659> but
77 no joy. If, instead of starting `/etc/init.d/xdm`, I log in at the
78 framebuffer prompt and type ` XSESSION="Xsession" startx` I again get
79 the "Session Menu" window and the X cursor, but this time a black
80 background behind that widow and a _black_ screen when I log in.
81
82 There's no .xsession stuff in my home directory - I even deleted
83 ~/.*to be paranoid-sure of this. Whups, there goes my bash history!!
84 None of the log files show anything useful or relevant - I've even
85 run `watch -n 0.3 ls -lt /var/log/` and the only ones that change are
86 xdm.log, Xorg.0.log and the weird binary file wtmp. They all show X
87 starting swimingly but not the sesssion stuff. I don't know what else
88 to say.
89
90 What's weird is that I _did_ see the expected terminal windows
91 opening yesterday, but I can't reproduce them now. The behaviour
92 seemed to be correct when I ran `startx` but not when I added xdm to
93 the default runlevel & started it that way. But now it doesn't work
94 at all.
95
96 I've attached the actual /etc/X11/Sessions/Xsession file, but I'm
97 sure this is unchanged - I'm sure it's exactly as shipped by Gentoo
98 by default. I've thought about replacing that with a simple `echo
99 "hello world`", but I'm not sure how to do that within the X11
100 environment.
101
102 Many thanks indeed for the time you've taken reading this, and for
103 your patience and in advance for any help or suggestions you can offer,
104
105 Stroller.

Xsession application/octet-stream