From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Tips for fresh install with GRUB2+RAID1+LVM2
Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 16:23:43
1 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 11:22 AM, <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
4 > > On Tue, May 19 2015, Peter Humphrey wrote:
5 > >
6 > >> On Tuesday 19 May 2015 10:53:26 Rich Freeman wrote:
7 > >>> On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 10:44 AM, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
8 > >> wrote:
9 > >>> > Incidentally, what's the received wisdom on frequency of file-system
10 > >>> > trimming on SSDs these days? I've seen values quoted between twice a day
11 > >>> > and once a week. And how does trimming affect btrfs?
12 > >
13 > > I included "discard" in fstab for my ssd filesystems, presumably
14 > > following some installation guide. For example I have
15 > >
16 > > /dev/sda5 / ext4 noatime,discard 0 1
17 > > /dev/vg/local /local ext4 noatime,discard 0 2
18 > >
19 > > Is it preferred to instead issue explicit trim's via cron?
22 > It depends.
23 >
24 > In theory giving your drive useful information about allocation now is
25 > better than giving it the information later. The drive can make use
26 > of that information to improve performance.
27 >
28 > In practice some drives have brain-dead firmware and they'll do stupid
29 > things with that information. If you trim part of an erase block, the
30 > drive should just file that info away and make use of that information
31 > when it can. However, some drives will immediately copy/erase the
32 > rest of the block at that moment, which creates an unnecessary erase
33 > cycle and creates IO load at a moment that the drive is already busy.
34 >
35 > So, if your drive isn't brain-dead discard is better. If your drive
36 > is brain-dead fstrim is almost as good if the drive isn't too full.
37 > I've yet to test discard and see how well it works.
38
39 Do you know if the Samsung 850 evo or similar are considered brain-dead?
42 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
43 How do
44 you spend it?
45
46 John Covici