From: Daniel Quinn <gentoo@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Small computing recommendations?
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 12:39:05
1 A while back I looked into a similar setup and was frustrated with the
2 hacker-esque nature of these tiny machines. They typically don't come
3 with a case, sometimes not even with power, and getting a working Gentoo
4 setup was likely going to be an effort I didn't want to spend.
5
6 So I ended up buying an Intel NUC: basically a tiny main board with a
7 CPU in a small simple square case + ram (you pick) + a hard drive (SSD
8 or HDD, you pick). It has HDMI or VGA out, sound, a few USB ports and
9 on-board ethernet as well. Getting Gentoo up & running on it was
10 painless once I turned of UEFI (it makes my head hurt). Details on how
11 I did it all was here: http://danielquinn.org/blog/gentoo-on-the-intel-nuc/
12
13 It'll cost you more than a Pi or some of the others, but it's basically
14 a tiny, quiet, whole computer, so the hassle is probably greatly diminished.