From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] no CD or DVD but "rules" seem correct-FIXED-or, not
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 22:18:21
1 On Thu, 10 May 2007 08:50:34 -0700 (PDT)
2 maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > --- Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za> wrote:
6 >
7 > > On Wednesday 09 May 2007, maxim wexler wrote:
8 > > > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 May 9 08:25
9 > > > cdrom -> hdc
10 > > > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 May 9 08:25
11 > > > cdrom1 -> hdd
12 > > > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 May 9 08:25
13 > > cdrw
14 > > > -> hdc
15 > > > [ /dev device nodes for cdroms ]
16 > > > appear since loading ide-generic.ko
17 > > >
18 For one thing, generic IDE support is certainly less appropriate than
19 support for your IDE card. Hardware-specific options cna be enabled
20 and you might gain DMA if your hardware is really unusual. I can say
21 from experience that generic ide support doesn't provide anything that
22 drivers specific to your hardware fails to provide, unless I
23 misunderstand greatly. It's not a question of increased functionality
24 necessarily, but one of performance, and possibly less overhead for the
25 CPU.
26
27 Secondly, in addition to some kind of driver for IDE, either generic or
28 specific, you need the cdrom driver (module: cdrom.ko) for cdrom
29 support.
30
31 My guess is, you upgraded the kernel and fell into the commonly
32 experienced PATA driver burn -- there's two driver sets now, an
33 experimental one and the old ones, and you have to make sure to get the
34 right one for your configuration.
35
36 Dont forget, you'll also need to have the ISO9660 and possibly UDF
37 filesysem supported.
38 --
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list