From: Hazen Valliant-Saunders <hazenvs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Rooted/compromised Gentoo, seeking advice
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 20:03:32
1 On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 2:50 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>wrote:
2
3 > On Tuesday 10 August 2010 15:03:19 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
4 > > On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 6:18 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > > > On Mon, Aug 09, 2010 at 05:30:40PM -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
7 > > > > On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com
8 > >
9 > > >
10 > > > wrote:
11 > > > > > I actually prefer "sudo su -" -- as long as I'm giving it away!
12 > :o)
13 > > >
14 > > > Afaik, there is no reason for "sudo su -" It should be either
15 > > >
16 > > > su -
17 > > >
18 > > > or, if you are using sudo,
19 > > >
20 > > > sudo -i
21 > > >
22 > > > The disadvantage of "su -" is that it requires the user to know the
23 > root
24 > > > password. But, "sudo -i" does the same thing without requiring the
25 > user
26 > > > to know the root password.
27 > > >
28 > > > You either didn't think or didn't actually try it. "sudo su -" needs
29 > a
30 > >
31 > > password, but it's the
32 > > user password. Running su as root never needs a password. Accordingly,
33 > > this works on
34 > > a stock Ubuntu with no root password.
35 > >
36 > > "su -" requires the root password unless you're already root, and the
37 > root
38 > > password may or may not exist.
39 > >
40 > > I didn't know about "sudo -i" (thanks), but when I tried "sudo -i" it
41 > > immediately asked for a password, for which
42 > > the user password was sufficient. So it's entirely equivalent to but
43 > > slightly shorter than my version. I'll stick with
44 > > mine because it's made of parts I already know and won't forget.
45 > >
46 > > I think that if sudoers don't need to enter passwords, they're still
47 > > equivalent, but I have not tried this.
48 >
49 > Sounds to me like he's whinging about sudo and not much else. I find this
51 > be common and far too many people advancing the idea can't define to me
52 > basic
53 > security concepts. I have also yet to meet someone with a beef against sudo
54 > that can show a fundamental weakness with it, and I'm not talking about an
55 > isolated case of buffer overflow either - that can happen with any
56 > software. I
57 > mean a weakness in the methodology of sudo itself.
58 >
59 > Many people have a stuck idea in their heads that the root password is a
60 > magic
61 > security bullet. In fact, it's no such thing. Like any other password it is
62 > simply something you need to prove you know in order to to authenticate
63 > yourself. The major threat by analysis on a workstation is stepping away
64 > for a
65 > leak and forgetting to lock the screen. sudo is adequate protection against
66 > this as long as more than 5 minutes have elapsed since the last sudo was
67 > run -
68 > the prankster may have access to the machine but still does not know any
69 > password, including yours. A major threat to finding passwords is shoulder
70 > surfing. If one frequently enters the root password, it is equally easy for
71 > a
72 > shoulder surfer to find it as to find the user's password. Note that if you
73 > leave your workstation unlocked with a root session open, there is no such
74 > timeout as what one has with sudo.
75 >
76 > Additionally, on a shared machine (i.e. server at work), the root password
77 > has
78 > to be shared which is a huge hole in itself due to the difficulty of
79 > communicating the new password when it is changed. It is trivially easy to
80 > communicate a single password for a single user and guarantee it stays
81 > secure
82 > (major advances in cryptanalysis excepted).
85 > --
86 > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
87 >
88 > Good Luck getting people to change them frequently and haveing your techs
89 and it departments meeting complexity and length policy.
90
91 Remeber the only secure system is off and disconnected.
92
93 If you are willing to use it you must apriase the community of the risk of
94 failure; and plan for said risk.
95
96 Most projects I've enjoyed had various password books usually encrypted with
97 a "God" key for each department and it's respective responsbile area.
98
99 Then those keys become an issue in and of themselfs; then it's a matter of
100 procedural control. When the admin or admins leave, change them.
101
102 Sounds simple, but far too rarely as it happens in pratice that I've headed
103 to a client I haven't visited in a decade or so and find the same password I
104 once used by guessing.
105
106 Wich always rings true for me as a means to ensure disclosure is to those
107 that I trust; or would trust.
108
109 The discretionary access model in Gentoo is nice and to be expected; what
110 I'd really like is a way to have my groups integrate from whichever
111 directory service I'm using to meet the DAC mappings required on the local
112 machine so I can enable RBAC or some other Lattice based control with local
113 admins and limit their functions to thier jobs in an EASY fashon.
114
115 Regards,
116 --
117 Hazen Valliant-Saunders