From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Dynamic IP address services.
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2016 15:38:27
1 On 08/11/2016 17:23, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2016-11-08, Willie M <matthews.willie80@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> If I a not mistaken if you change your nameservers to FreeDNS you will
5 >> be able to have that dynamic IP Address that way. So your reverse lookup
6 >> should work just fine.
7 >
8 > Reverse DNS will work (modulo down times when the address changes,
9 > like you describe). But, back when I used to run a mailserver using
10 > that setup, I still ran into SMTP servers that rejected my mail
11 > because it was coming from a dynamic IP address. Even though the
12 > reverse DNS lookup and MX record were all kosher, they still knew my
13 > address was in a range that was allocated dyamically and refused to
14 > accept incoming mail. That was 10 years ago. It's hard to believe
15 > SMTP servers have gotten more lenient...
18 They haven't. Actually they have gotten more strict.
19
20 Mine for example will not accept mail from known dynamic ranges, period.
21 Mimecast and friends can deal with that crap thankyouverymuch, and they
22 are welcome to it
25 Alan McKinnon
26 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com