From: Zack Elan <zackelan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How come my 'esearch' isn't updated when I emerge something until the next 'esync'?!
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 06:56:41
1 On 2006-11-17 07:30:11 +0100
2 "Daevid Vincent" <daevid@××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > How come when I emerge something, my 'esearch' isn't updated until
5 > the next time I do an 'esync'?
6
7 Because esearch uses a database to speed up searches, and that database
8 isn't regenerated until you run esync or eupdatedb.
9
10 I'd recommend using eix instead of esearch - not only is it faster, but
11 it also knows changes in installed packages without needing to update
12 its database.
13
14 > Then if I do an 'esync' it shows (and in some kind of ironic slap in
15 > my face, THEN it shows me there is an update, so I have to re-emerge
16 > it to be current):
17
18 You should probably be doing eupdatedb instead of esync. esync does an
19 emerge --sync, and you don't want to get banned from a mirror for
20 rsync abuse.
21
22 > This seems so silly and like a 0.0.3 kind of feature to put in to
23 > portage.
24
25 It's not a part of portage. esearch is a separate package, developed
26 specifically to combat the slowness of emerge --search.
27 --
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list