From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: /var/tmp/portage on tmpfs
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 17:26:36
1 On Wed, 7 Jan 2015 16:12:28 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:
2
3 > > That's why I thought XFS may help.
4 > > Reports of the speed gain from tmpfs are quite mixed, but I do use it
5 > > myself.
6 >
7 > I'm moving to btrfs and eventually ceph, so xfs is not on my roadmap....
8
9 Not as a general FS, but as a specific choice for $PORTAGE_TMPDIR it may
10 be worth testing. XFS was designed for an environment that used temporary
11 files that didn't need to be committed to disk, so its caching doesn't
12 write to disk anywhere near as often. That means you would be working
13 with files stored in RAM a lot of the time.
17 Neil Bothwick
18
19 WinErr 014: Keyboard locked - Try anything you can think of.