From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Need Help!
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 18:48:08
1 On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 11:20 AM, Willie <matthews.willie@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi All,
3 >
4 > I have been running a gentoo box for quite some time without a desktop
5 > manager. Did a lot of upgrading in between time also. The problem I am
6 > having is when I login I can't open any Windows. The only one that has open
7 > without crashing the entire computer that I know of is VLC.
8 >
9 > Any help is greatly appreciated.
10
11 Be sure to "emerge --oneshot @x11-module-rebuild" after upgrading xorg
12 stuff. Drivers might be out of sync and maybe that's causing your
13 pain.
14
15 Try to delete/rename your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and see if that makes a
16 difference. Modern Xorg can start a basic environment without it.
17
18 Try to run "startx" as a user instead of using xdm and see if you get
19 any better errors/logs.
20
21 If you have another computer/device SSH into your problematic computer
22 before starting X so you can see if it's still alive, just
23 unresponsive at the local terminal. Maybe then you can see logs and
24 stuff.
25
26 revdep-rebuild just to ensure everything is consistent on your system.