From: Florian Philipp <f.philipp@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] APM kills harddrives?
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 16:38:23
1 Thomas Hobbes schrieb:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > there are some reports that Ubuntu GNU/Linux 7.10 "kills harddrive":
5 > http://ubuntudemon.wordpress.com/2007/10/28/laptop-hardrive-killer-bug-how-to-discover-whether-you-are-affected/
6 >
7 > I can confirm this behaviour for FreeBSD 6.2 STABLE 200710 i386 and
8 > Gentoo Linux 2007.0 i386. My Load_Cycle_Count is increasing about 1
9 > cycle per minute.
10 >
11 > There's the possibility to disable APM for one's harddisk to stop that
12 > behaviour. You can do:
13 >
14 > hdparm -B 255 /dev/yourharddisk
15 >
16 > That stops the Load_Cycle_Count's growth but reduces one's battery
17 > runtime. Is there a better way to weaken the possibility of killing
18 > one's harddrives?
19 >
20 > Best greetings
21 > Thomas
22
23 1. Configure and use laptop_mode. With it you can minimize the number
24 disk accesses while you are on battery and prevent the disk from
25 spinning down when you are not.
26
27 2. Create regular backups. With a laptop, load cycles are just one of
28 many threats to your HDD.
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list