From: Raymond Lillard <rlillard@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] after dd many badblocks on new SATA HD
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 03:11:48
1 Iain Buchanan wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 18:03 -0800, maxim wexler wrote:
3 >
4 >>Hello everybody,
5 >>
6 >>I ran dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/sda bs=10240 to copy the
7 >>contents of one drive to another as suggested on this
8 >>list. And updated fstab and grub.conf. Now the PC
9 >>boots into a kernel panic.
10
11 bad idea.
12
13 I'm guessing that you need to rewrite the boot block
14 with the grub shell.
15
16 man grub
20 > does dd use any sort of error checking?
21
22 No.
25 >>Any suggestions?
26
27 Yes.
28
29 > they way I do it every time, is create the partitions and use rsync.
30 > Then you know every file will be copied correctly, and you can pick up
31 > at some later stage between reboots.
32
33 Do the above with rsync, or tar, or cpio, or dump/restore, or cp -a old new.
34
35 all of the above options are preferred over dd
36
37 Good luck,
38 Ray
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list