From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Detecting 64 bit Intel chips
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 17:30:16
1 On Wednesday 05 March 2008, Chris Brennan wrote:
2 > Here is the output of my cpuinfo, I'll point out where it will mean
3 > 64bit. For the sake of this demonstration, I have only pasted one
4 > (1) CPU.
5 >
6 > xaero@Leviathan ~ $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
7 > processor : 0
8 > vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
9 > cpu family : 15
10 > model : 75
11 > model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ <--
12 > Here will be your first indication. 64 bit processors, weather they
13 > are SPARC, AMD or intel, must identify themselves clearly in the
14 > model name field.
15 > stepping : 2
16 > cpu MHz : 1000.000 <-- forgive this, my cpu's are idle at the
17 > moment and speedstep droped me down for the moment.
18 > cache size : 512 KB
19 > physical id : 0
20 > siblings : 2
21 > core id : 0
22 > cpu cores : 2 <-- If you are a multi-core CPU, this will tell you
23 > how many cores per processor. All cores are identical, so if you
24 > have a 64-bit Dual/Quad-Core CPU, then all cores are 64bit.
25 > fpu : yes
26 > fpu_exception : yes
27 > cpuid level : 1
28 > wp : yes
29 > flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
30 > cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext
31 > fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow rep_good pni cx16 lahf_lm
32 > cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy <-- you can look for flags that
33 > may give away 64bit, such as lahf_lm, lm and nx.
34 > bogomips : 2010.67
35 > TLB size : 1024 4K pages
36 > clflush size : 64
37 > cache_alignment : 64
38 > address sizes : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
39 > power management: ts fid vid ttp tm stc
40
41 I am a bit confused now. I always thought my CPU was 32bit. Here are
42 the relevant two lines from my /proc/cpuinfo:
43
44 model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
45 flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
46 mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx
47 lm constant_tsc pebs bts sync_rdtsc pni monitor ds_cpl cid cx16 xtpr
48 lahf_lm
49
50 So the model name does not indicate anything 64bit while the flags
51 contain lm, nx and lahf_lm.
52
53 What gives?
54