From: "W.Kenworthy" <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Can the new baselayout handle multiple networks seamlessly?
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 23:07:59
1 Can the new baselayout handle multiple networks seamlessly?
2
3 I currently connect to multiple networks using a laptop with an ipw2200
4 wireless and a built in NIC consisting of:
5 NIC, fixed IP
6 NIC, DHCP
7 NIC, DHCP and openvpn
8 NIC, DHCP and CiscoVPN
9 wireless with wpa/tkip
10 wireless with wpa/tkip and openvpn
11 wireless plain with openvpn
12 wireless plain with CiscoVPN.
13 all configs have common services like a caching bind server, zebedee and
14 apache and various other services not normally seen on a laptop. These
15 usually need restarting in order for the new config to take.
16
17 and obviously more than one network of each type in some cases.
18 It is wireless or NIC, not both at once.
19
20 Currently I arrive at a site and run a script that copies in the config
21 files for the needed configuration, and then restarts the needed
22 services. This broke with the last baselayout changes - wierd things
23 happen like zebedee running ok when the initscript is run from the
24 commandline, but not from a script. So I reverted, but I am thinking I
25 need to redesign the system or start making bug reports in order to use
26 the latest changes.
27
28 Also, is there an integrated way to plug in a network cable and have a
29 config RELIABLY recognised and trigger the necessary actions? Its not a
30 good look to arrive at lecture in front of 30-50 people and struggle to
31 connect to the local network, which seems par for the course for gentoo!
32
33 BillK
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list