From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Bluetooth and KDE Connect
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 16:28:05
1 On Monday, 21 September 2020 11:40:36 BST Ashley Dixon wrote:
2 > On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 10:44:52AM +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > I should have asked: is there something like KDE Connect but using
4 > > Bluetooth? Or a direct USB link? My WiFi is served by the Billion router,
5 > > and as far as I can see it's permanently isolated from the LAN. Mind you,
6 > > the manual is a 12.4MB PDF, so I might well have missed something.
7 >
8 > If you want a fancy G.U.I. application (GTK+), I've heard good things about
9 > The Blueman Project (net-wireless/blueman), although I've never used it
10 > myself. I assume it transfers binary files with OBEX [1], conferring with
11 > the BlueZ kernel driverset [2, 3].
12 >
13 > $ ash-euses -so obex # shameless plug
14 > net-wireless/bluez:obex - Enable OBEX transfer support
15
16 That sounds good, Ashley. I'll have a look at it.
17
18 > I'm sure you've already seen this, but you might derive value from the
19 > "Device Pairing" section of the Bluetooth Gentoo Wiki page with
20 > `bluetoothctl` [4].
21
22 I have, yes. I followed that method to get the devices paired.
23
24 I was hoping to integrate the phone with my desktop. I had a vague idea of
25 using the multimedia somehow. (I did say it was vague.) KDE Connect sounded
26 like the bee's knees, but as Andrew said, it operates over WiFi, which is a
27 problem for me.
30 Regards,
31 Peter.