From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re enter chroot install
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 20:47:38
1 reader@×××××××.com writes:
2
3 > James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> writes:
4 > > # mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
5 >
6 > [...]
7 >
8 > > Any of the above steps that are not necessary?
9 >
10 > Other have commented about the .../boot stuff but in dozens of times
11 > chrooting during all kinds of install situations I've never done
12 > `mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev'
13 >
14 > And far as I know it never caused me a problem.
15
16 I assume you have a static /dev setup then, probably not visible after udev
17 has created new entries. Could you try the mount -o bind stuff and check if
18 the contents of /dev and /mnt/gentoo/dev differ? Typical devices like
19 [hs]d[a-d] should be present in both trees, so the chroot /dev will work,
20 too, at least for most practical purposes, like setting up grub.
21
22 On the other hand, my /dev only has two files in it (console and null), the
23 rest is created by udev. In a chroot, they are gone, and grub would not
24 work.
25
26 Wonko
27 --