From: Alon Bar-Lev <alonbl@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] *draft* for setting up network bridge with systemd (for qemu/kvm)
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 20:00:15
1 On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 9:49 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I would not bet on that ;) too much resistance. However it is
4 > certainly getting better and better: the LWN article on The Biggest
5 > Myths about systemd had an overwhelmingly majority of comments
6 > positive to systemd, and just a handful of negative comments:
7 >
8 > http://lwn.net/Articles/534210/#Comments
9 >
10 > But that is in LWN; Gentoo is way behind, I believe.
11
12 Gentoo is not behind, it provides you the option of using systemd.
13
14 However openrc is superior in many ways, as unlike systemd it provides
15 script base metadata vs static systemd units, so for example a service
16 can depend on other services based on LOGIC. Also, it has the nature
17 of virtual dependencies what systemd lacks, for example there are N
18 services that provides timesync, in openrc you provide timesync and
19 depend on timesync, in systemd there is no way to do so. openrc is
20 working in various environments including embedded, while systemd
21 requires so much dependencies that it is not really usable at all
22 environments. openrc can be used correctly in chroot environment,
23 while systemd is inoperative. openrc supports extra commands for
24 services, while systemd enforces only start/stop sequence. I can go on
25 an on.
26
27 Just because there is hype of some branding, does not mean it is better.
28
29 openrc networking is the best network configuration I ever used, and I
30 used a lot of distributions. I used the following[1][2][3][4]
31 configuration on my environment.
32
33 Regards,
34 Alon