From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT]advice for a wireless router
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 22:23:22
1 On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 17:59:05 -0400
2 Aaron Clark <ophidian@×××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > It sounds like what you really want to get is a Linksys WRT54GL[1]
5 > that you can then flash with something like dd-wrt[2] or OpenWRT[3].
6 >
7 > Aaron
8
9 Sure, you could do that, but then you have less flexibility later. I
10 love being able to add network interfaces and such to my router. I
11 dont' have to mess with flashing or such, and I can run gentoo on it
12 and upgrade til my little heart's content.
13
14 Most people go for this option, but there's definitely something good
15 to be said about the flexibility (and power!) of using a home-built
16 router from a second hand desktop.
17
18 I have heard that home-built optimized linux routers are known to be
19 faster, as well, but I certainly can't validate or invalidate that
20 opinion. I do know that I wouldn't trade my neat old router for all
21 the WRT54GL's in the world.
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list