From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Midi-masterkeyboard...and Linux?
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 16:39:55
1 On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 8:29 AM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > to aim at the right way of "research" I would like to know,
5 > wether it would be
6 >
7 >    a) no problem at all
8 >    b) a true problem near to an unsolveable challenge
9 >    c) a thing of careful selection of the according hardware
10 >
11 > to connect a midi masterkeyboard via usb to an ordinary PC (in an
12 > useable manner, of course....;) ). I dont want to add an extra PCIe
13 > card to my PC because there is simply no room for it in my PC.
14 >
15 > To what do I have to pay my attention to?
16 >
17 > Thank you very much for any help in advance!
18 >
19 > Best regards,
20 > mcc
25 Do you mean to play music using a Linux soft synth, or possibly to
26 record the midi messages and be able to replay the music using an
27 external synth?
28
29 Both are completely possible, and in fact easy with the right
30 MIDI-to-USB converter. I use a MIDIMAN MIDISport 2x2 which works great
31 for me although I haven't used it in a while. I'm sure there are lots
32 of good USB interfaces that cost less that work fine also.
33
34 http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Midiman-Midisport-MIDI-Interface/dp/B00006I5HC
35
36 Best _up_to_date_ info for this would be I think on the Alsa user list
37 but feel free to write me off line if you you want a little quick
38 info.
39
40 Hope this helps,
41 Mark