From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ext4 inode limit reached
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 00:45:23
1 On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 12:15:52PM +0100, Daniel Troeder wrote:
2
3 > I have an ext4-filesystem that contains /usr/src, the /usr/portage and
4 > /var/cache/edb. It previously also contained /var/db/pkg, but I had to
5 > move that some weeks ago, because the fs was "full". Now it's "full"
6 > again, though it has free blocks. But no inodes are left:
7 >
8 > $ fsck -vf /dev/sda5
9 > [..]
10 > 655360 inodes used (100.00%)
11 > [..]
12 >
13 > $ find /gentoo -xdev | wc -l
16 > Is there any way to raise the number of inodes without using
17 > $ mkfs.ext4 -N BIGNUM
18
19 You can’t increase the number in an existing FS, you’ll have to reformat it.
20 If you have a backup, as you should anyway ;-) , you could boot a live system
21 and reformat.
22
23 On my system, /usr/portage currently contains 127000 files. But for reason of
24 increased performance I put it into a squashfs file. (There was a nice howto
25 on this ML some months ago). You could try that, which will free those inodes
26 up and ideally leaves you with one used inode for the squashfs image. Plus, if
27 you have enough RAM, you could put /var/tmp/portage into tmpfs. I have 3GB,
28 and this is fairly enough. For other hogs like firefox, LO and java, I use
29 binary packages though.
30 For comparision, I too have one (seldom two) kernel source trees and everything
31 else on / except /home. And while of the 17GB capacity barely 1GB is left free,
32 I still have 480k inodes free of the 1M in total. (I figured that I may have
33 more space for content if I reserved less for inodes).
34 --
35 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
36 I forbid any use of my email addresses with Facebook services.
37
38 A hammer is a wonderful tool,
39 but it is plain unsuitable for cleaning windows. (SelfHTML forum)