From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Questions regarding the usage of multiple locales
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 14:03:47
1 On 22 June 2010 02:14, Christopher Swift <christopher.swift@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I've setup my Gentoo box to use en_GB as the default locale
3 > in /etc/env.d/02locale with tips from the Gentoo Localisation Guide[0].
4 > Is it at all possible to set a locale, i.e. cy_GB to be the primary LANG
5 > parameter but if there is no .po for cy_GB or the .po is incomplete to
6 > use en_GB as a backup instead of the default en_US?  So for example if
7 > gedit were fully translated into Welsh (cy_GB) I could use gedit in
8 > Welsh but emerge not being translated into Welsh would resort to en_GB
9 > instead of en_US?
10
11 I'm also interested in this - although my question is probably simpler:
12
13 I would like to use en_GB but I do not undestand why running 'locale'
14 as a plain user shows:
15
16 $ locale
17 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
18 LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
19 LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
20 LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
21 LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
22 LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
23 LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
24 LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
25 LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
26 LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
27 LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
28 LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
29 LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
30 LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
31
32 why when running it as root:
33
34 # locale
35 LANG=
36 LC_CTYPE="POSIX"
37 LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
38 LC_TIME="POSIX"
39 LC_COLLATE="POSIX"
40 LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
41 LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
42 LC_PAPER="POSIX"
43 LC_NAME="POSIX"
44 LC_ADDRESS="POSIX"
45 LC_TELEPHONE="POSIX"
46 LC_MEASUREMENT="POSIX"
47 LC_IDENTIFICATION="POSIX"
48 LC_ALL=
51 I do not have set a /etc/env.d/02locale yet, so where is my plain user
52 locale being read from?
53 --
54 Regards,
55 Mick