From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dd'ing small drive to large one
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 14:06:39
1 Iain Buchanan writes:
2
3 > On Mon, 2011-01-31 at 22:19 +0100, Alex Schuster wrote:
4 > > Now I'm really really sure there will be no problem. What I wrote above
5 > > about the gemotry is true I think, but all modern drives seem to have
6 > > 255 heads and 63 sectors per track, so they will be compatible.
7 > >
8 > > Wonko
9 >
10 > The only problem I see with dd is that it won't do any error checking,
11 > afaik. Will you have the old drive in as #2 later to double check?
12
13 No, there's no space in this damn Dell desktop PC. If there were, we would
14 just install the 2nd drive, and I would copy all stuff from remote. And then
15 change grub so it boots from the 2nd drive. This would be a little
16 unelegant, as I would copy the root partition while in use, but there should
17 not be too much data that would change while I do this - probably not any
18 data at all. For the /var partition, this would be different, but in
19 practice this would probably work well either. Still, I would use the LVM
20 snapshot feature for this.
21
22 But I never head a problem with dd. Do you mean read errors due to bad
23 blocks? Then I should at least find something about this in the syslog. I
24 could use dd-rescue though.
25 Or is it about other, undetected errors? Isn't there some CRC checksum by
26 which ensure that would be detected? Or does dd not care about this?
27
28 > The other option is clonezilla. It will be a bit more work for you, but
29 > you can script it to clone the partitions / drives / copy boot loaders
30 > and so on. Then the remote assistant can just boot it (from usb key
31 > even) and press go!
32
33 Clonezilla sure looks interesting. I even has LVM support, so this probably
34 could be done. Still, using only dd seems simpler to me, and more foolproof.
35 But I'll check it out anyway. Thanks for the pointer.
36
37 Wonko