From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: cpufrequtils can't find expected /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 11:53:37
1 On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 09:35:27AM +0000, Holger Hoffstätte wrote
2 >
3 > It depends on the CPU frequency governor. If CONFIG_X86_INTEL_PSTATE is
4 > set and active (depending on your CPU model), the traditional governors
5 > (like ondemand) and their correspondig sysfs entries are disabled.
6 > For example I have the former (cpufreq) entry on my old core2 laptop,
7 > but no such entry on my machines with i5/i7 with pstate despite the same
8 > 3.12.x kernel everywhere.
9 > Generally pstate is much better than ondemand for both performance and
10 > especially powersave mode.
11
12 It's an old AMD dual-core cpu (from /proc/cpuinfo)
13
14 vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
15 cpu family : 16
16 model : 6
17 model name : AMD Athlon(tm) II P320 Dual-Core Processor
18 stepping : 3
19 microcode : 0x10000b6
22 > Also AFAIK cpufrequtils are unmaintained/deprecated/dead, you should
23 > migrate to sys-power/cpupower. It's slightly different but IIRC easy
24 > to switch to.
25
26 Thanks. I've got it working. I prefer the "conservative" governor,
27 which doesn't jump around as much. Both cores now show...
28
29 maximum transition latency: 4.0 us.
30 hardware limits: 800 MHz - 2.10 GHz
31 available frequency steps: 2.10 GHz, 1.50 GHz, 800 MHz
32 available cpufreq governors: ondemand, userspace, powersave, conservative, performance
33 current policy: frequency should be within 800 MHz and 2.10 GHz.
34 The governor "conservative" may decide which speed to use
35 within this range.
36 current CPU frequency is 800 MHz (asserted by call to hardware).
39 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
40 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications