From: Mike Kazantsev <mk.fraggod@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Fresh install on reboot endless scrolling text
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 03:12:28
1 On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 20:52:26 -0500
2 Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Roy Wright <roy@××××××.org> writes:
5 >
6 > > So you have grub installed, the grub menu appears, you select a boot
7 > > option, boot starts, the usual kernel messages flash by, you get to the
8 > > second part of the boot where the lines look like:
9 > >
10 > > blah... [OK]
11 > >
12 > > Then something goes crazy.
13 >
14 > Yes, just the first few `blah [ok]' lines... maybe 3.
15
16 Okay, the syslog is probably not one of them, so /var/log shouldn't be
17 too populated, except for rc.log, which should be enabled specifically
18 in /etc/rc.conf (w/ baselayout-2) or /etc/conf.d/rc - look for
19 rc_logger line or something similar with older baselayout.
20
21 Then there's also "interactive boot" feature.
22 Just press "I" as soon as you see first gentoo "[ok]" messages and the
23 boot will proceed step-by-step asking about every init script
24 encountered.
25 In baselayout-2' rc.conf there's option "rc_interactive"to enable it. I
26 believe it was in baselayout-1 as well, but you can try upgading to 2
27 if it's not there.
28
29 If that won't work try passing "init=/bin/bash" as a kernel parameter
30 (from grub) to drop right into shell on start, then do
31 "ls /etc/runlevels/boot" and try starting each script one-by-one until
32 one of them fails like you described.
33
34 I believe there's also "1" or "single" parameter, that can instruct
35 init not to proceed past the first runlevel, which might be a cleaner
36 way than "init=/bin/bash", but might as well try to start the same
37 faulty script if it's encountered early enough.
38
39 And then there's a low-level hack w/ sysrq key (SysRq-K, if i recall
40 correctly) to drop into shell, which can be used at the same time as
41 "I" mode I've described above.
42
43 You can try disabling one of the scripts mentioned at the beginning of
44 linked log file (my rc.log) by removing +x from them (just removing
45 symlink from runlevel probably won't do, since other scripts might
46 start it as a dependency) to see if boot proceeds a bit further w/o
47 mentioned crash.
48 rc.log: http://dpaste.com/53552/
51 Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net