From: luis jure <ljc@××××××××××××.uy>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Search filesystem with a wildcard
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 19:09:54
1 on 2011-02-26 at 09:33 Grant wrote:
2
3 >I can't get find to work. This works:
4 >
5 >locate *foo*.txt
6 >
7 >but none of these work:
8 >
9 >find /my/folder -name foo*.txt
10 >find /my/folder -name *foo*.txt
11 >find /my/folder -type f -name '*foo*.txt'
12 >
13 >What am I doing wrong? I do need the find to be recursive in that folder.
16 i'm sorry i haven't been following the thread too closely, but the last
17 one should work. according to man find, when using wildcards in a search,
18 "you should enclose the pattern in quotes or escape the wildcard", meaning
19 that all these work:
20
21 find /my/folder -type f -name "*foo*.txt"
22 find /my/folder -type f -name '*foo*.txt'
23 find /my/folder -type f -name \*foo\*.txt
24
25 they certainly work for me. am i missing something?