From: Michal 'vorner' Vaner <vorner@×××.cz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] removing X
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 17:49:09
1 Hello
2
3 On Mon, Dec 24, 2007 at 11:31:16AM -0600, reader@×××××××.com wrote:
4 > I'm attempting to remove X from a former desktop machine now going to
5 > see action as a semi-DMZ.
6 >
7 > What is the best way to go about removing X and all its files.
8 >
9 > Removing the basic x11-base/xorg-x11 is easy enough but there appears
10 > to be dozens of other X related pkgs installed.
11 > x11-proto/* has apparently dozens of relatives installed.
12 >
13 > emerge does not appear to accept globbing or maybe I'm just doing it
14 > wrong.
17 > Would just passing dozens of command line arguments to emerge be a
18 > suitable way to get rid of all the clutter?
19
20 You could remove the meta-package (the one that has size 0 and depends
21 on everything, I guess it's xorg-x11) and then emerge --depclean. You
22 probably should check, what everything that might want to remove, as it
23 might get the things a bit wrong, sometimes.
26 When eating an elephant take one bite at a time.
27 -- Gen. C. Abrams
28
29 Michal 'vorner' Vaner