From: "J. Patrick Campbell" <patrick@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel 2.6.9r9 v4l missing
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 15:46:30
1 On Sun, December 5, 2004 10:29 am, Holly Bostick said:
2 > J. Patrick Campbell wrote:
3 >> i'm on udev and have compiled in support for my webcam and video for
4 >> linux
5 >> yet my /dev/v4l and /dev/video0 are missing.
6 >> sorry if someone already answered, my router locked up overnight so i've
7 >> been bouncing email.
8 >> how do i create devices with udev? didn't see anything on the gentoo
9 >> udev
10 >> guide.
11 >>
12 >> Thanks,
13 >>
14 >> ~P
15 >
16 > Inexpert suggestion; corrections gratefully accepted:
17 >
18 > Udev creates devices on the fly. This means that it creates the devices
19 > when something calls for them to be created.
20 >
21 > The easiest way I find to create devices like this (devices which will
22 > be used later, but are not "called" by anything during boot) is to make
23 > the drivers for such devices modular rather than compiling them directly
24 > in, and then adding them to /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6; that
25 > way, when the module loads, the device is created. This is how I get my
26 > Sidewinder gamepad to work (creating the device /dev/js0), for example--
27 > if I compile support directly into the kernel, udev isn't running when
28 > the driver is loaded, because the device is detected during an earlier
29 > stage of the boot process, so no device is created. I suppose I could
30 > create a device in the udev config, but I have no interest in that,
31 > since it's not a "special device that udev doesn't know about" (which is
32 > the situation in which you are supposed to specifically configure udev
33 > to create a device). It's supposed to do it automatically; this way, it
34 > does.
35 >
36 > I would suggest that you modularize your video devices as well.
37 >
38 > Hope this helps.
39 > Holly
40 >
41 > --
42
43 Holly,
44
45 Thanks for you reply.
46 I don't know what'sup with my kernel 2.6.9r9 but i just recompiled 2.6.9r4
47 and all is working great. Cam is working again.
48 The only problem i see is i got a clock skew error message when compiling
49 the newer kernel so i wonder if that messed things up? Although make
50 menuconfig showed the ibm cam drivers loaded, when i zcat /proc/config.gz
51 it showed the driver not being there. So i'm sticking with the older
52 kernel for now.
53
54 Thanks,
55