From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mysqld invoked oom-killer
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 03:09:05
1 >> Then why not have a really big swap file?  If swap is useful as a
2 >> second layer of caching behind RAM, why doesn't everyone with some
3 >> extra hard drive space have a 100GB swap file?
4 >>
5 > You've not understood what I said, I think.  Swap is not useful as
6 > filesystem cache.  Swap is as efficient (probably a little less) than
7 > the files on the disk.  It's RAM that's efficient as filesystem cache.
8 >
9 > Where swap comes in is the kernel can swap out pages from "stale"
10 > processes, and reclaim the RAM as filesystem cache.
11
12 That all makes perfect sense, but if a small swap is good and a large
13 swap is not any better, I'm missing something. Maybe the pages from
14 stale processes never total more than a small amount? I don't see how
15 that could be.
16
17 - Grant
20 > Think of it this way:  You have a house with an attic. Now the attic is
21 > not as "efficient" as say, the middle of your living room.  You have a
22 > Christmas tree, but you only use that Christmas tree maybe once a year.
23 > Now it's much more efficient to keep that Christmas tree in the attic
24 > for 11 months of the year and use that reclaimed space in your living
25 > room for.. say a coffee table.  Then, when you need that Christmas tree
26 > in December, you pull it out of the attic and maybe put the coffee table
27 > up in the attic for a month.
28 >
29 > The Christmas tree represents a process that's just sitting out there
30 > doing not much half the time, but taking up space.  The space in your
31 > living room is RAM, and the space in your attic is swap.  The coffee
32 > table is filesystem cache.