From: Zac Medico <zmedico@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 1.) Kernel panic - not syncing: Aiee, killing interupt handler; 2.) kdebase-3.4.1-r1 failed
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 04:27:09
1 Joseph wrote:
2 > [snip]
3 >
4 >>>I'm on gentoo-sources 2.6.12-gentoo-r6 it makes no difference.
5 >>>So I either get a kernel panic or kdebase-3.4.1-r1 fails.
6 >>>
7 >>>I think kdebase-3.4.1 should be masked as unstable.
8 >>>I was googling and noticed that a lot of people have similar problem,
9 >>>but no solution.
10 >>>
11 >>
12 >>Mask kde because building it triggers a kernel bug? I think not.
13 >>It's probably related to your hardware and/or kernel config. Is it
14 >>happening with split ebuilds too? Is there anything interesting in
15 >>the output of dmesg or /var/log/messages leading up to this?
16 >>
17 >>Zac
20 > I wasn't thinking about masking KDE but gcc-3.4.1 on AMD64 platform and
21 > make stable 3.3 version. I run onto one posting claiming that there is
22 > some kind of bug in gcc-3.4.1 (and this version is the only stable
23 > version on AMD64.
24 >
25 > If I knew I'm going to have so much problem with AMD64, I would have
26 > gone with x86.
27 > So WARNING to everybody: A8V + Sata Drive + AMD64 3000 = DISASTER (for
28 > now).
29 >
30 > I have two other boxes running Gentoo on x86 and they are rock solid.
31 > If any kind of problem pops-up I can solve it withing an hour or faster.
32 > But these two problem on AMD64 turned this machine to a piece of junk
33 > (suitable only for Windows).
34 >
35 > Split KDE-ebuild is effected as well.
36 > I couldn't find anything in dmesg, what might be causing it. If it was
37 > a kernel configuration I would imaging somebody would discover it, but
38 > there are only suggestion that don't work. It most likely some bug in
39 > some kind of kernel driver pertaining to Sata Drive or AMD64
42 Maybe you should try gcc-3.4.4? You could go with a 32-bit userland until the problem is resolved. You can do that with a 64-bit kernel if you have IA32 emulation enabled (hopefully you won't encounter the same bug).
43
44 Zac
45 --
46 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list