From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing outside of Portage & cruft removal
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 20:45:44
1 On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 2:44 PM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 2:30 PM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>>> Writing an ebuild is best, but sometimes you just want to give a
5 >>>> program a try without writing an ebuild (like everyone else running
6 >>>> Linux does) and a scruft script enables you to do that without making
7 >>>> a mess of your system.
8 >>>
9 >>> Not to be picky, it's just an idea but in that case, isn't it way easier to
10 >>> just ./configure --prefix=/some/dir/inside/yourhome or edit a makefile?
11 >>
12 >> I have to say I know nothing about compiling or installing outside of
13 >> portage. Does specifying a prefix like that work? You get a fully
14 >> functional program with nothing installed outside of some/dir?
15 >
16 > Yes, it's the "normal way" for people that don't use package managers.
17 > I almost always install into my home directory for programs that
18 > aren't in portage (or make my own ebuild if it is a simple one). Or
19 > depending on what program it is, create a user for it and run it under
20 > that user account so it can't touch anything else.
21 >
22 > Also, a lot of more simple programs don't even need to be installed.
23 > Just untar it, configure it, make it and run it from the directory in
24 > which the source resides.
25 >
26 > Paul
29 I should also say that installing that stuff to /usr/local tree is also normal.