From: "John H. Moe" <johnmoe@×××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Intel iwl3945 problem
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 11:19:22
7 John Moe wrote:
daid kahl wrote:
I've recently rebuilt my laptop, and am having trouble getting the
14 wireless to work correctly. My wireless is making an association with
15 my AP, but TCP/IP traffic doesn't seem to want to transmit over it; I
16 can't even ping my AP. TCP/IP works fine on the ethernet adapter.
17 Wireshark (without the ethernet connected) only shows traffic going out
18 the wireless card, not in, and another station on my home network is not
19 seeing the DHCP broadcasts. My access point can see the MAC address of
20 the wireless card in my laptop. I've tried to config the networking
21 with DHCP and static IPs, neither worked.
22
23 So, the wireless card appears to be working, and TCP/IP appears to be
24 working, but not together. Does anyone have any idea what could cause
25 this? I've previously had it working, however, I forgot to grab my
26 kernel config before I wiped the drive, only the /etc folder and my home
27 folder, so there's a good chance that I've done something differently in
28 the kernel config.
Use portage to rebuild all the relevant network ebuilds.  I've had
33 similar trouble with NetworkManager and my wireless after rebuilding
34 lots of the system, and once I rebuilt NetworkManager then everything
35 was back to normal. So, dhcpcd certainly should be rebuilt, and
36 whatever other things might be related to the wireless in portage.
37
38 ~daid
Well, I've used emerge -C and then emerge again on dhcpcd and
45 iwl3945-ucode. I'm not sure if I did that with wireless-tools, but I'll
46 try that now. Actually, I'll unmerge all three and re-emerge them again.
47
48 Are there any others that I'm missing? I can't think of any other
49 packages that would apply; at least, not that I specified.
50
51 John Moe
55 Well, nevermind.  It seems to have sorted itself out.  I'm not sure if
56 it was the re-emerging of the three network packages mentioned before,
57 but they didn't seem to do anything afterwards.  So then I noticed that
58 FireWire networking module hadn't been built, and that was in there the
59 last build, so I switched CONFIG_IEEE1394_ETH1394 to <m>,
60 recompiled the kernel, copied it over and rebooted, and suddenly the
61 wireless started working.  Could it have needed a reboot after
62 re-emerging the network packages?  I can't see how adding FireWire
63 networking support would change anything...
64
65 Anyway, thanks for the quick suggestions.  It seems to be working now.
66
67 John Moe