From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone compiled libreoffice-3.6.0.4 yet? [WORKAROUND]
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 13:49:08
1 On 08/09/2012 01:19 PM, walt wrote:
2 > This has been slow and painful so far.
3 >
4 > First, the build stops repeatedly because of zero-length library files.
5
6 The gentoo libreoffice package doesn't yet compile with the 'binfilter'
7 useflag set, so I unset it and the install completed.
10 > Second, the ebuild is using only one CPU out of four, so this is taking
11 > much longer than before. Ugh.
12
13 This is a completely separate problem, which is very annoying but not
14 fatal. There are some parts of the libreoffice build which take much
15 longer than normal because 'make' uses 100% of CPU for long periods,
16 while accomplishing very little. Those sections eventually complete,
17 and the rest of the build proceeds at full speed by using all four of
18 the CPU's.
19
20 I think the reason that 'make' is being so slow is that certain kinds
21 of child processes are segfaulting (i.e. become 'defunct') and make
22 has to stop and respawn the failed processes until they succeed, which
23 obviously takes a lot of extra time. The build does eventually finish
24 in spite of all those defunct processes -- no idea why it works in the
25 end, though.
26
27 Can anyone confirm that 'make' is behaving the same way for you while
28 building libreoffice-3.6.0.4?