From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Another hardware thread
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 23:52:56
1 Am 2011-11-13 12:56, schrieb Neil Bothwick:
2
3 > General desktop use, but that does include some image processing
4 > and plenty of virtualisation. It will also be a build host for some
5 > lower powered Gentoo systems, so fast compile times, and plenty of
6 > cores, are advantages.
7
8 Nearly the same use here, KVM-virtualization, still one
9 VMware-player-driven-VM ....
10
11 I play with the thought of getting myself a nice new machine for work,
12 better to spend some money on hardware than on taxes (2012 is near ...).
13
14 Performance is one issue, another one is energy/noise ... the phenom
15 1090t seems to pull in a lot and need good (and maybe noisy) fans.
16
17 I just start to compare. 6 cores, yep, sounds good for both
18 gentoo-compile-work and VMs ...
19
20 Stefan