From: Francesco Talamona <francesco.talamona@××××.eu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: extending /usr partition...
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 12:53:46
1 On Sunday 22 March 2009, Albert Hopkins wrote:
2 > [...]
3 >
4 > > The point is that LVM adds an extra layer of complexity.
5 > >
6 > > I used LVM paired with soft RAID, and when I needed to boot from a
7 > > liveCD I discovered that I had to rebuild the setup by hand.
8 >
9 > You mean the 1 extra command that's needed to assemble a VG?
10
11 It wasn't that easy, that's what I did in the end:
12 1) vgchange -a n
13 2) vgexport -a
14 3) vgimport -a
15 4) vgscan --mknodes
16 5) vgchange -a y
17
18 Maybe 4) and 5) alone would do the trick... I don't remember which
19 livecd I used then, except for the fact that I had to reboot
20 with "dolvm2" option; now I have a tested "first aid kit" with notes on
21 paper (all my notes were on those discs at the time) with well known
22 and proven liveCDs.
23
24 When I have to resize/redesign my partitions I simply find easier rsync
25 plus a reboot.
26 I rsync the live system while I use it, than reboot to a liveCD to rsync
27 the file changed meanwhile (to minimize downtime). So I shortly tossed
28 LVM and since I live happily without.
29
30 Ciao
31 Francesco
34 Linux Version 2.6.28-gentoo-r3, Compiled #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Mar 8
35 12:38:59 CET 2009
36 Two 1GHz AMD Athlon 64 Processors, 4GB RAM, 4018.04 Bogomips Total
37 aemaeth