From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Determining hardware on Dell Vostro 1520
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 20:44:12
1 On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 3:16 PM, Yoav Luft<yoav.luft@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > I got a Dell Vostro 1520 laptop as a present, and I am trying to build
4 > a kernel for it. I can't determine what hardware I've got on it, since
5 > the specs (http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/vos1520/en/SM/specs.htm)
6 > say it could be installed in a few different configurations. What
7 > drivers do I need the bluetooth (connected by a mini-card, don't know
8 > what it means), touchpad, camera and fingerprint (if there are any, of
9 > course)?
10
11 Luckily, I think all of those (except for fingerprint reader -- no
12 idea about that) are very generic kinds of devices.
13
14 Bluetooth has its issues in Linux but drivers are not one of them. In
15 a laptop it's probably a part of the wifi card, and you've probably
16 got a button to turn bluetooth off and on. How to actually use the
17 bluetooth is another story (I still haven't gotten it to work in
18 KDE4). Basically enable the bluetooth stuff in kernel and emerge
19 "bluez"... beyond that is very dependent on what you actually intend
20 to use it for (wireless headphones? input devices? file transfer from
21 cell phone? modem? etc)
22
23 Your webcam most likely is UVC so you can use that driver (in v4l
24 section of kernel config).
25
26 Touchpad should work in X.org with x11-drivers/xf86-input-synaptics
27 package, and there are Gnome & KDE config programs for setting up all
28 the features.