From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Please confirm my understanding
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 02:07:59
1 On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 09:41:15PM -0400, C.Beamer wrote:
2 > Now for the question. I need confirmation of my understanding. In
3 > the make.conf file when setting up the USE flags, I include anything
4 > that I want to have compiled into the programs that I install,
5 > correct? If I don't want an option to be compiled in all programs, I
6 > prefix that with a - sign. If I want an option for a specific
7 > package, I use the package.use file.
8 >
9 > So, if I don't want to compile gnome, then I use -gnome as one of the
10 > keywords. I don't use gnome, never have, never will, but there are
11 > gnome applications that I like - gnumeric to name one, plus there are
12 > a few gnome games. So, is it my best bet to include -gnome as a
13 > keyword in my make.conf USE statement and the add it in the
14 > package.use file for those applications that need it?
15 >
16 > I'm using gnome here as an example, but if my understanding is
17 > correct, I assume this would apply to anything. And yes, I know that
18 > you can declare temporary use flags when compiling a package.
19 >
20 > Regards,
21 >
22 > Colleen
25 My understanding is that there are two types of dependencies: required
26 and optional. For example, gnumeric will necessarily depend on gnome,
27 whether you like it or not. So even with the -gnome flag set if will
28 bring in the necessary libraries for it to function. On my system, I
29 run into a similar thing with Rosegarden. It uses kdelibs and qt. So
30 even when I specified -kde in make.conf, when I installed Rosegarden,
31 kdelibs gets installed too.
32
33 I think that if you don't, in general, need gnome functionality, than
34 -gnome should be fine in a global sense. Even if you don't explicitly
35 put it in package.use the package that necessarily depend on gnome
36 will install it as a dependency anyway.
37
38 HTH
39
40 W
41 --
42 Calvin: Can you make a living playing silly games?
43 His Dad: Actually, you can be among the most overpaid
44 people on the planet.
45 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 5 days, 9:21
46 --
47 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list