From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Secure DNS servers
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 01:29:43
1 thegeezer <thegeezer <at> thegeezer.net> writes:
4 > > I'm researching where we run all sorts of applications very securely,
5 > > for one person at a time. It's eventually (hopefully) going to be
6 > > a full LMS Learning Management system, something comprehensive, maybe even
7 > > www-apps/moodle and or SWAD. Eventually a full ecommerce system, just
8 > > for one company, not as a service to others.
9 >
10 > sounds interesting. going for full interactive video distance learning
11 > too would be a great direction to take, especially if the teacher
12 > controls who has audio (to speak).
13 >
14 > the only thing i would add is to keep each system seperated as much as
15 > possible. don't put everything on one server. bad things happen to good
16 > people so try to make sure one thing doesn't affect another. depending
17 > on the age of the people you are helping they probably will try to use
18 > latest scriptkiddie toys against you first, so think about the ingress
19 > and egress of the network and of the individual nodes when you think
20 > about security.
21
22 We're planning on lots of unwanted noise from a range of talented
23 problem hackers. Eventually a massive VM system approach will be
24 deploy, but first I want to test security the old fashion way....
25
26 > > But for now, just running various forms of secure, minimized DNS. Some
27 > > machine controls (SCADA) will use the DNS as part of the SSL services.
30 > scada huh. i wouldn't put it on a public facing internet connection.
31 > even on a network connected to things i care about. i'm sure you have
32 > good reasons, i would probably urge you to reconsider them [3]
33
34 Let me share a little background with you on SCADA. Most networks that
35 have SCADA on them, are really poorly secured. It's just layers upon
36 layers of MS crap. I do not design those sorts of machine networks.
37
38 I have been given the opprotunity of 'fix' many such networks. Most I just
39 walk away from. I employ techniques I would characterize as "network
40 partitioning" and "asymmetric traffic routing" and loads of passive
41 monitoring and profiling. Many scada networks have all sorts of
42 improperly configured devices, bounced packets, and no sort
43 of 'state machine' design on what is and is not need, how often
44 and why. They have evolved, mostly by technicians and poorly trained
45 IT folks that just 'got it to work' without optimization or system
46 design constraints being enforced. Far too many folks and machines
47 are present on those critical networks. IT folks view a 20 million
48 dollar gas turbine, just like an expensive printer. Hacking them
49 is trivial. Most SCADA networks have MS servers on the same segments for
50 the'convenience' of all sorts of non-essential personel. To boot they
51 put video surveillance networks in place, so the hackers can actually
52 "see" the physical layout of the plants. Stupid does not begin to
53 characterize the mistakes common to scada operations.
54
55 You have the very wrong impression of my scada network designs. Most
56 companies I talk to, do not like my 'draconian' designs, and I'm never
57 going to be responsible for MS inspired, stupid networks. That said
58 the big vendors do make billions of (scada) dollars and I search pretty
59 hard form companies that will listen and I like enough to work for.
60
61 Networks with many machines and without humans are easy to secure,
62 you just have to think out of the box a bit.... (sorry trade secrets here).
63 Just keep anybody with an MBA out of the process.
66 > >> if you are looking for dynamic dns updates you want to make sure you
67 > >> have auth by secured ip (encrypted traffic) and you want to guard your
68 > >> keys to allow DDNS.
69 > >>
70 > >> DNSSec is to prevent MITM attacks such as DNS cache poisoning, and you
71 > >> can see some starter material at ISC BIND website [1]
72 > > DNS sec will be down the road. I have time to build, test, research
73 > > and adjust the strategy as this goes along. It's not fixing a desparate
74 > > situation; more along the lines of building up various secure dns
75 > > platforms along an increasing features set.
76 >
77 > if your scada devices are using the public internet to get to your dns
78 > servers i would seriously urge you to rethink things, even if you are
79 > using dnssec.
80
81 Ok, so even though folks consider these 'devices' as scada, I do not.
82 I mostly work on industrial control systems, when I choose to do scada
83 work.
84
85 What you are referring to, something like using a cell phone to open your
86 front door, turn on the hot tub, or manipulate your audio gear, is not
87 really what I consider scada, but others do. If those things get hacked,
88 you flood a basement, illegally enter a house etc etc. Bad things but
89 not really catistrophic to the neighborhood. For me, scada means
90 big industry, water supply, chemical plants, manufacturing etc etc.
91 So if you hack them, costs rise astronomically, very quickly. Loss of
92 life is a distinct possibility. These types of things should not
93 depend on MS anything, or using the open internet for anything. Few listen
94 now a days, because of the allure of sexy visual candy for folks that
95 do not need access to the data/controls/equipment. Large telecom companies
96 are the worst offenders, that why the gov. is not considering them
97 to mandate security standards, under the guise that it is for their
98 customers......
101 Stuxnet was a weakup call. Few listen. Far, far worse is bound to happen,
102 sooner or later.
105 > >> In terms of "hack my dns server" there are many things that can hamper
106 > >> it - something at the bleeding edge like gentoo is ace for this kind of
107 > >> thing (*cough* centos is prehistoric *cough*) and if you were to load up
108 > >> metasploit with ISC specific filters you can try to see what is
109 > >> vulnerable. you can filter by CVE on your favourite website [2]
110 > > Yep:
111 > >
112 http://cyberarms.wordpress.com/2014/04/20/detecting-openssl-heartbleed-with-nmap-exploiting-with-metasploit/
113 > >
114 > > I got that, hense the advise is being sought out, first.
115 > >
116 > and bear in mind the security in depth. your perimeter will be bypassed
117 > - what happens next is down to you.
118 > you are looking at having possible external user generated web content
119
120 I'm looking for consolidated information. I have a very very good track
121 record for (2) things. Keeping machines very secure and pissing
122 off managers by designing system with a need to know and very very
123 limited access. I usually save folks signficantly by using the word
124 "No" to all sorts of stupid ideas. One customer paid me out a fraction of
125 the savings they realized, for a very long time.
126
127 What managers need are reports from databases on systems, production and
128 security scans, not real time access...... However, go to a trade show
129 on scada and it's a feeding freenzy for hackers....... Vendors are putting
130 controls on cell phones and have security equivalent to WEP.
131
132 Thanks for your input. My goals here are building a series of dns servers
133 from very simple and very secure, and on up, slowly learning and creating
134 a portal for other to experinece what I figure out. My techniques on
135 machines are pretty much unpublished and unique. In a big industrial
136 environment, I teach folks to build something unique, and not follow
137 the vendor main-line approach. Few listen, hence all the noise lately
138 about the chineese hacking industries in the US...... The sad thing
139 is most industries think the US governement is watching their network,
140 will swoop in just in time to save them, and not make the managers look
141 like idiots, when press reports are leaked. They do not understand that
142 government agenices have a singular focus to increase their funding, and not
143 to protect anyone. You nor I can get through to them, until
144 after the pooper has been hacked.
145
146 idiots....abound, sorry for the digression.
147
148 peace,
151 James