From: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Patching of ebuilds
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 09:26:49
1 Hi all,
2 I've had a look on the web but can't seem to find any instructions on
3 how to do the patching of ebuilds. I have the situation where I've tried
4 to install the media centre app MMSV2. I've done the emerge, a lot of
5 dependent functionality was compiled and now it's up to compiling the
6 actual MMSV2. When compiling, an error happens. I had a look in
7 bugs.gentoo.org and there is a bug in there that covers, I think, the
8 failure.
9
10 Attached to the bug is a patch that someone has developed. I now want
11 to use this patch to patch the ebuild and see if it really does fix the
12 problem. My problem is that I don't know the actual steps needed to do
13 the patching. I know about the patch utility but I don't know where the
14 actual files are, and how I should do the patching so that Portage does
15 not view the patched files as corrupt and therefore won't do the emerge.
16
17 If someone can tell me how, or point me to a webpage that tells me how,
18 to do the patching it would be greatly appreciated.
19
20 Regards,
21 Andrew